In 1965, the UT College of Architecture opened its doors in Estabrook Hall for about 20 students. Fifty years later, the College of Architecture and Design had moved into the dynamic Art and Architecture building and expanded to include the schools of Architecture, Interior Design and Landscape Architecture for more than 400 students.
The College of Architecture and Design thanks our alumni and friends who celebrated our 50th Anniversary, April 28-30, 2016, Your support of the 50th Anniversary events brought the college closer to purchasing the building in which the Fab Lab operates (see below), and once the $90,000-per-year lease is eliminated, we will put that money toward increasing student scholarships. Thank you and watch for many more opportunities to engage with the college and your fellow alumni soon.
A Look at the Celebration
- Click here to see photos from the gala.
- Click here to see photos from Honors Convocation.
- Have photos to share? E-mail a link to AmandaJohnson@utk.edu.
- Watch the videos from the gala: UT || AMIE || Taylor Odom/Gensler Brinkmann || Legacy of Giving
- Watch the Thom Mayne lecture presented by General Shale.
- Silent Auction Update: The silent auction at the gala raised more than $8,500! Thank you for your donations of items, and thank you for bidding generously.
- Decade Photos for those who ordered them were sent on May 12.
- T-shirts, polo shirts and decals that were ordered but not picked up during the festivities were mailed on May 16. Please contact Amanda Johnson, AmandaJohnson@utk.edu, if you have not received your items.
Purchase the Fab Lab…Increase Student Scholarships
The anniversary celebration helped raise funds to help the College of Architecture and Design purchase the building in which its incredible Fab Lab operates. The Fab Lab is in a 20,000-square-foot, renovated, historic property on North Gay Street in downtown Knoxville. The Fab Lab features a studio, gallery, 3D printers, laser cutters, water-jet cutter, robotics and an x-axis mill, in addition to metal and woodworking equipment.
During the 50th Anniversary, alumni and friends helped the College of Architecture and Design move closer to $1.4 million to purchase the building, thus eliminating the $90,000-per-year lease. Once the building is purchased and the lease eliminated, the college will apply that money toward student scholarships. For more information about the Fab Lab, visit archdesign.utk.edu/fablab.
- Updated Schedule of Events
- NEW 04-22-16: Silent Auction Items
- NEW 04-26-17: Transportation
- General Shale Keynote Lecture: Thom Mayne
- NEW 04-26-16 Download the 50th App
- Maps to Venues
- Decade Leaders (Reunions, Decade Photos, Other)
50th Anniversary Agenda at a Glance
Welcome Reception at the Fab Lab
Hike/Bike with Legacy Parks Foundation
Reunion Receptions by Decade
Decade Photos @ Estabrook, A+A, Bijou Theatre
General Shale Lecture at Bijou Theatre: Thom Mayne, Morphosis
50th Anniversary Gala: Cocktail, Silent Auction, Dinner + Dancing at Knoxville Museum of Art
The College of Architecture and Design thanks our
50th Anniversary sponsors.
James Rose Architect || Sanders Pace Architecture || Johnson Architecture || Sesco Lighting
Johnson & Galyon Construction || Doug Kennedy || AIA Tennessee
Scott Poole Architect || Robin Easter Design || G&P Masonry || Gresham Smith and Partners