Facts + FAQs
- Undergraduate admissions to Interior Architecture and Architecture are due by December 1.
- Graduate admissions to Architecture and Landscape Architecture are due February 1.
Fees and Assistance
- Studio fees apply. Students of Architecture + Design have additional amenities than do students in other colleges. These include a desk and work station for each student in the building, a woodshop, Fab Lab, resource library, virtual computer lab, media lab, digital print and image center, and in-house technology support.
- About 90% of all Architecture + Design students receive financial aid, including scholarships and graduate assistantships.
- Research Awards: $166.81 million (FY 12)
- Research Expenditures: $151.28 million (FY 12)
- Research Centers and Institutes: 66
- Joint Research Institutes with Oak Ridge National Laboratory: 5
- Carnegie Classification: Research University (Very High Research Activity)
- Setting: Urban
- Acres: 560
- Buildings: 236
- Employees (faculty & staff): 9,791
- Studios: Art + Architecture Building, Fab Lab, Architecture Research Annex and Nashville Civic Design Center
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, was founded in Knoxville as Blount College in 1794. It became a land-grant university in 1869, and was renamed the University of Tennessee in 1879.
- The College of Architecture and Design was originally founded as the School of Architecture in 1965.
- UT Knoxville is the flagship and largest entity of the UT System, which is governed by a twenty six member Board of Trustees.
- The College of Architecture and Design was once housed in Estabrook Hall located on the “Engineering side” of campus. In 1981, the award-winning Art + Architecture Building, designed by legendary Knoxville modernist Bruce McCarty, was constructed.
- School colors: Orange and white
- Alma Mater: “On a Hallowed Hill”
- Mascot: Smokey, a blue tick coonhound
- Nickname: The Volunteers
- Unofficial Volunteers anthem (since 1972): “Rocky Top”
- NCAA championships (since 1987): 23
- Men’s SEC championship team titles: 114 (most of any league school)
- Women’s SEC championship team titles: 37
- Total SEC championship team titles: 151
Quick Contact Information:
- Phone number is 865-974-5265
- Fax 865-974-0656.
- General inquiries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.