Admission to the College of Architecture and Design at the University of Tennessee is highly selective, and based on:
- test scores
- high school record
- student application
- the optional submission of a portfolio
To apply, please visit Undergraduate Admissions, where you will create a Vol in Progress (VIP) account and apply to the Bachelor of Architecture Program. Here you may also apply for scholarships and other financial aid.
Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about our program, receive information about upcoming open houses, or schedule a visit to meet our Director of Architecture Jason Young and tour our award-winning Art + Architecture Building.
The submission of a portfolio of work is optional, but recommended. The purpose of the portfolio is to demonstrate visual talent and abilities as well as to provide insight into the creative thought process of the applicant. The portfolio is a collection of the applicant’s creative work. If a portfolio is submitted, it must contain at least three required images as follows:
- An instrument
- A visual description of where you live
At least two of the three images must be executed freehand. The portfolio can include submissions that supplement those listed above. Aim for quality rather than quantity in selecting work for submission. An ideal number would be eight to ten examples of personal work. All work shall be neatly assembled in an 8 ½ x 11 format to be submitted digitally or as an organized folder / notebook.
The following advice will assist applicants in selecting additional samples of personal work for the portfolio:
- Consider including examples of drawings, artwork, photography, or anything else that may demonstrate visual and creative abilities.
- Consider including examples of creative work such as graphic design, fashion design, industrial design, furniture design and/or other examples of creativity and invention.
- Consider including work from course assignments (if any), as well as work completed independently.
- Only submit mechanically-drafted or computer-aided drawings if they are illustrative of personal creativity.
The following guidelines will assist applicants in submitting the portfolio.
- Submission of the original item is not necessary.
- Inexpensively reproduced drawings, photographs, reductions, and photocopies are acceptable.
- For work that does not lend itself to representation in an 8 ½ x 11 format, such as films, websites, or recordings, provide access to appropriate content.
- Label all work with your name, the date when the work was executed, and the media. Indicate if it was produced as a course assignment.
- The cover or cover page of the portfolio should include the student name and contact information Include a copy of the application to UT and personal information in the portfolio.
- Submit the portfolio by the published deadlines.
The portfolio will be reviewed by faculty members of the Architecture Admissions Committee. Portfolios may be mailed or uploaded electronically through the UT admissions portal. If mailed, please include a self-addressed stamped mailer for the return of the portfolio. Otherwise, portfolios will not be held nor returned.
Mail the portfolio to:
The University of Tennessee
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
320 Student Services Bldg. Knoxville, TN 37996