2018 College Commencement and Hooding
Friday, May 11, 2018 · 12:00 p.m. · Thompson-Boling Arena · Tickets are not required
College Graduation Celebration (Reception + Student Showcase)
Friday, May 11, 2018 · 2:30-4:30 p.m. · A+A Building and Humanities Grove
- January 10: Commencement Info Session, 5:45 p.m., A+A Bldg., Rm.103 A
- MANDATORY by January 17: Student Information Sheet 2018 to Jennifer Flatford, A+A Bldg., Rm. 217
- MANDATORY by February 10: RSVP for commencement and Graduation Celebration reception (See student information sheet)
- Dates to be announced: UT Grad Finale: One-stop shop with discount on caps and gowns; students also can conveniently order most hoods, cords, and stoles during these days. See details below.
- Day-of Commencement Information
- Parking at Thompson-Boling Arena
- Bookstore/VolShop Grad Finale:
- Cap, Gown, and Hood: https://shop.utk.edu/c-334-graduation-supplies.aspx
- Interior Design Hoods: Available to borrow from the college. To purchase, visit http://www.academicapparel.com/caps/regalia_colors.html
- Class Rings, Graduation Announcements, Diploma Frames: http://www.jostens.com/apps/store/customer/1041120/University-of-Tennessee/
- Career Day:
- CAREER DAY 2018 (Coming soon!)
- General Information:
- Graduation: http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation.shtml
- Graduation Ceremonies: http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/commencement/spring17_cer.shtml
- Deadlines to Apply for Graduation: http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/deadlines_to_apply.shtml
- Steps to Graduation (Undergraduates): http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/undergraduate/index.shtml
- Steps to Graduation (Graduates): http://gradschool.utk.edu/graduation/
- Summer Graduates Word Doc: http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/summer_grads.shtml
- Out-of-town Guests of Graduates: http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/hotel_links.shtml
Details about Commencement
- The college’s commencement on May 11 includes hooding and is a rather intimate ceremony for the estimated 100 graduates of the College of Architecture and Design and their 900 guests. This ceremony includes welcoming comments, short speeches by elected student speakers from each degree program, hooding, and conferring of diplomas.
- Commencement will last approximately 1.5 hours; tickets are not required.
- Graduation Celebration is a new special event in the college, which combines our traditional reception at the A+A Building and nearby Humanities Grove with a showcase of graduating students’ work. Graduation Celebration is May 11, 2:30-4:30 p.m. The event is for graduates, families and friends and is free of charge.
- Some student organizations have special graduation regalia, such as honor cords or stoles. If you are a member of an organization, your president or designated officer will let you know what to order or rent.
- The Office of the Dean will order cords for the following: Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Cum Laude.
- Students who do not plan to participate in commencement also have requirements before receiving their diplomas. Please watch for information from Jennifer Flatford, 865-974-5267, for details.
- Eligible summer graduates can participate in spring or fall commencement ceremonies. Details are at http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/summer_grads.shtml.
- The University of Tennessee offers a university-wide graduate hooding ceremony on Thursday, May 10, 2018, 7 p.m., Thompson-Boling Arena. This is for 2018 M. Arch and MLA graduates, families and friends. Tickets are not required. Details on graduate/master-level deadlines are at http://gradschool.utk.edu/graduation/graduation-deadlines/.
Contact Jennifer Flatford, firstname.lastname@example.org, 865-974-5267.