Through the technologies and resources that we provide, we prepare our students to pursue entrepreneurial initiatives, lead creative teams, and accelerate innovation. Here are some of the tools available to students of the UT College of Architecture and Design:
- Technology and computer support through college and university personnel (see “Computer Requirements” for information about student technology purchases).
- A wood shop that features all necessary tools for the creation of furniture, industrial design projects, and building staging and mock-ups. Our wood shop has 3D priting, milling, laser cutting, and other digital fabrication resources for students.
- A digital print and image center. Students may print and scan their projects through our own print shop.
- Our computer lab is accessible day and night, and features all necessary and quality software to complete design and research projects. Digital “pin-up” centers are also available through several classrooms and the “Clerestory,” a digital review space.
- Libraries and collections are available to students for all of their research and resource needs. From our digital collections to our materials library and subject librarian, students can delve deep into their design studies and interests.
- The Fab Lab is a state-of-the-art fabrication laboratory that offers students opportunities to construct, test, design, and build.
UT Architecture and Design to Open Studio and Lab in Downtown Knoxville
The university is investing in downtown Knoxville by renovating and furnishing a historic North Gay Street property for a new studio, gallery, and fabrication lab. UT is leasing the 20,000-square-foot building known as the Jewel at 525 North Gay Street for several College of Architecture and Design programs. The building’s glass storefront will house a…
The Future of Product Design
Featured research about interior design faculty member, Ryann Aoukar, as originally written and published by Quest. In today’s kitchens, old-fashioned workhorses such as strainers and juicers are rarely used. Fruit juice comes presqueezed in bottles, or worse yet, in cans of concentrate. Vegetables, unless grown at home, are washed long before they hit grocery store shelves….
How to Connect to the College Server
Written by Jeff Wilkinson Here is information about how to access college servers. You may save a copy of this information through this file, CADfiler f13. File Server Access Windows 7 Step 1: If you do not already have a shortcut to the server on your desktop, you’ll need to create one as follows. Please note…
DPC Printing Procedures and Best Practices
Written by Jeff Wilkinson In order for DPC print jobs to be processed, all files must be submitted AND a work order must be filled out COMPLETELY by close of business on the day of your print submission deadline. The DPC closes at 5:00pm (NOT 6:00pm) on weekdays and Sundays (closed Saturdays). Simply dropping a file…