February 8, 2021 Black History Month 2021 Celebration Set
In honor of Black History Month, the college will host activities planned by students in our college and the School of Art throughout February, including a design competition, a panel discussion and more to address issues such as social justice, diversity and inclusion in design and systemic racism. All faculty, staff and students in the college as well as in the School of Art are invited to participate.
Design Competition, Feb. 8-28
- Four prompts are shared here (see below), on Instagram and in sketchbook that address the issues of systemic racism, social justice, diversity and inclusion in design.
- Students, faculty and staff can choose one or more prompts and get creative to make change!
- Entries are due 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 28.
- The design competition is open to all faculty, staff and students in the A+A Building.
- Physical and digital submissions are allowed and must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Physical submissions (painting, model, sculpture or any other physical creation) must be photographed to be entered.
- Each digital submission must be contained to a maximum 30″ x 30″ artboard and not exceed 10MB.
- Multiple entries per person are allowed and welcome.
- E-mails containing entries must include the following:
- Person’s name and e-mail address
- Role (Student, Faculty, Staff)
- Jurors will review submissions in early March.
- Winners will be chosen and awarded cash prizes.
- A People’s Choice Award will be awarded through social media vote.
- Selected works will be exhibited in a Black History Month exhibit in March.
To enrich the celebration and inspiration, the prompts for the design competition are framed by themes using facts about Black historical figures.
Also find the prompts below as well as on the college’s Instagram (@utkcoad) and in sketchbook e-newsletter.
There is no limit to what your mind can conceive and you can create.
Panel Discussion, Feb. 25
Join your fellow faculty, staff and students. as well as members of the community, for a panel discussion on Feb. 25, 6:30 p.m. ET, featuring experts in the fields of
- Mental health
- Activism in design
- Social justice
- Creative industry opportunities
Connect with the Black History Month panel discussion on Zoom: ID 970 2101 3412 or at tiny.utk.edu/netwrk.
We salute students Joanna Martin, Brooklyn Poff and Trevor Thompson for spearheading the Black History Month Celebration as well as Asst. Prof. Felicia Dean and School of Architecture Director Jason Young for providing support.
Questions? Send questions to email@example.com.