August 22, 2018 More Technology + Other Changes in Our Facilities
Changes in the A+A and Fab Lab
Over the summer 2018, the Art + Architecture Building and Fab Lab underwent some changes to support our students’ needs and accommodate our growing student body:
- The Digital Print Center (DPC), located in Rm. 309, is near completion of a renovation that expands its footprint to bring together additional technology and the Materials Resource Library (MRL) into one convenient place. Soon, in the DPC/MRL, you’ll find
- 4 laser cutters (one more than last year…for now, three laser cutters are in the A+A wood shop)
- 3 plotters
- Student assistants
- 2 new large work tables
- 2 new large-format paper cutters
- Loaner laptops and other equipment checkout station
The DPC/MRL should be up and running early in the fall semester.
- The Herman Miller Studio space moved to Rm. 317/319 to accommodate the renovation in the DPC/MRL.
- The glass box has moved from the third floor to the west end of the first floor. It’s now an amazing maker space with two new 3D printers, additional 3D printers, conference table, display monitors and white boards. Just outside of the glass box, you’ll find six work tables for your use in making models, etc., available first come, first served. The glass box also will be a space for workshops, seminars, etc. Reserve it via Outlook.
- We added 83 new ergonomic workstations to the studios in the A+A as we welcome our largest ever freshman class!
- We’re adding $400,000 of advanced robotics technology in the Fab Lab. Watch for details about when it will be ready for students to use.
- Small-format color printers near the plotters outside of studios have been replaced with new models.
What hasn’t changed:
- Students will still find plotters steps away from the studios. (Did you know that last year, 99% of printing done by students was done on the self-serve plotters? Having them so close is obviously a benefit!)
- Students have access to seven virtual Adobe workstations, so they can continue to use their own laptops while simultaneously uploading large files that use Adobe Creative Suite.
- Students still have all of the incredible technology at the Fab Lab: 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC routers, 3-axis mill, water-jet cutter, vacuum former, wood shop and much more.
- The wood shop in the A+A is fully equipped.
- We have 16 mobile pinup boards for use during reviews and other times. Reserve via Outlook.
- The new photography studio built in Spring 2018 and located in Rm. 235 is a dark photography studio with professional studio lighting, tripods and backgrounds for exploration and documentation of students’ projects.