- Master of Architecture, Princeton University, Princeton NJ, 2002
- Bachelor of Science in Architecture, University of Virginia, Charlottesville VA, 1998
- Registered Architect: New Jersey and Tennessee
- Member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- LEED Accredited Professional
- NCARB Certified
Jennifer Akerman is Design Director at Akerworks, inc, in Knoxville Tennessee. Akerworks is an industrial design firm specializing in modern, mechanically inventive objects and instruments that elicit unexpected delight through play. This practice explores questions of craft through a balance of traditional and emerging techniques, including localized digital fabrication. We have prototyped dozens of products, developed several to a retail level, and provided design consulting and fabrication services.
Jennifer also holds architectural experience from working at Hillier Architecture in Princeton, New Jersey, Perry Dean Rogers + Partners in Boston, and Cockrill Design + Planning in Knoxville TN.
- ARCH 478R + 498R: Self-Directed Projects Seminar and Studio
- ARCH 529: MAP Seminar
- ARCH 462|562: Professional Practice
- ARCH 271: Design III, Territory I (Studio)
- ARCH 272: Design IV, Terrotory II (Studio)
Expertise & Interests
- Urban agriculture
- Innovative critical practice
- Digital fabrication
Honors & Awards
- Merit Award, AIA Gulf States Region, 2018. This award honors design excellence demonstrated by the Beardsley Community Farm project, a team effort designed by UTK architecture students under Jennifer’s direction.
- Collaborative Practice Award, Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA), 2017. This national education award given to Jennifer Akerman and Bob French honors teaching excellence demonstrated by the Beardsley Community Farm project.
- Honor Award, AIA East Tennessee, 2016. This award honors design excellence demonstrated by the Beardsley Community Farm project, a team effort designed by UTK architecture students under Jennifer’s direction.
- Honor Award, AIA East Tennessee, 2013. This award honors design excellence demonstrated by the Algood Elementary School, team effort designed by Cockrill Design + Planning.
- American Architecture Award, Chicago Athenaeum, 2008. This national award honors design excellence demonstrated by the Becton Dickinson Campus Center, team effort designed by Hiller Architecture