Commencement Celebrate. Graduate.
2018/2019 Commencement Dates + Deadlines
- The Fall 2018 Commencement Ceremony Information:
- Fall commencements are university wide commencement ceremonies. The college only holds a commencement ceremony in the spring semester.
- The fall Grad Finale will occur from October 16 to October 18 in the Student Union from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day. You can receive a discount for items such as your cap and gown and diploma frames.
- Undergraduate (Bachelor’s candidates) ceremony: Friday, December 14th at 9:00 a.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena.
- Graduate (Master’s candidates) Hooding: Thursday, December 13th at 4:30 p.m. Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for Hooding information at 865.974.2475
- Any student who graduates in the fall semester may attend the spring commencement ceremony for the college. If you would like to participate in the spring commencement, please contact Jennifer Flatford at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Spring 2019 Commencement:
- A mandatory meeting for all students participating in the spring commencement will be held on January 9th in A+A 103 A at 5:45 p.m.
- Students who graduate in Fall 2018 or Summer 2019 may participate in the college’s spring commencement ceremony
- College Commencement Ceremony (for Bachelor and Master candidates): Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena
- Graduate (Master’s Candidates) Hooding Ceremony: Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena
- Graduation Ceremonies
- Deadlines to Apply for Graduation
- Steps to Graduation (Undergraduates)
- Steps to Graduation (Graduates)
- Summer Graduates Word Doc
- Out-of-town Guests of Graduates
Day-of Commencement Information:
Bookstore/VolShop Grad Finale:
- Cap, Gown, and Hood
- Interior Architecture Hoods: Available to borrow from the college or to purchase
- Class Rings, Graduation Announcements, Diploma Frames
Details about Commencement
- The college’s commencement on May 11 includes hooding and is a rather intimate ceremony for the approximately 100 graduates of the College of Architecture and Design and their 900 guests. This ceremony includes welcoming comments, short speeches by elected student speakers from each degree program, hooding and conferring of diplomas.
- Commencement will last approximately 1.5 hours; tickets are not required.
- Guest parking for commencement can be found here.
- Please click here for the security information regarding commencement.
- Graduation Celebration is a special event in the college, which combines our traditional reception at the A+A Building and nearby Humanities Grove with a showcase of graduating students’ work. Graduation Celebration is May 11, 2:00-4:00 p.m. The free event is for graduates, families, friends and alumni.
- Some student organizations have special graduation regalia, such as honor cords or stoles. If you are a member of an organization, your president or designated officer will let you know what to order or rent.
- The Office of the Dean will order cords for the following: Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Cum Laude.
- Students who do not plan to participate in commencement also have requirements before receiving their diplomas. Please watch for information from Jennifer Flatford, 865-974-6714.
- Eligible summer graduates can participate in spring or fall commencement ceremonies. Details are at http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/summer_grads.shtml.
- The University of Tennessee offers a university-wide graduate hooding ceremony on Thursday, May 9, 2019, at Thompson-Boling Arena. This is for 2019 M. Arch and MLA graduates, families and friends. Tickets are not required. Details on graduate/master-level deadlines are at http://gradschool.utk.edu/graduation/graduation-deadlines/.