Commencement Celebrate. Graduate.
Fall 2022 Commencement
Graduation Application Deadlines:
Fall 2022 graduation candidates deadline to submit their graduation application is October 15, 2022.
Details about the Fall 2022 Commencement Ceremonies
Please note the fall ceremonies are university-wide ceremonies, and therefore, includes all graduation candidates within the parameters of each ceremony.
University of Tennessee’s Undergraduate Commencement (Undergraduate/Bachelor Candidates only): Friday, December 16, from 9 a.m.; will be held at Thompson-Boling Arena.
- All undergraduate/bachelor candidates should wear their hood to the ceremony as no students will be hooded in this ceremony.
University of Tennessee’s Graduate Hooding Ceremony (Graduate/Master’s and PhD Candidates only): Friday, December 16 at 3:00 p.m.; will be held at Thompson-Boling Arena.
- All graduate candidates should wear their hood to the ceremony as no graduate/master’s candidates will be hooded in this ceremony.
Fall 2022 Torch Night: Thursday, December 15, at 8 p.m.; will be held at Thompson-Boling Arena. Students must register to attend Torch Night. This is a university-wide event.
Spring 2023 Commencement
Graduation Application Deadlines:
The college requests that all spring/summer 2023 graduation candidates submit their graduation application no later than Friday, January 20, 2023, for communications purposes.
The graduation application can be located by logging into your MyUTK account. If you have questions, please contact Jenny Flatford at email@example.com or 865-974-6714.
Details about the Spring 2023 Commencement Ceremonies
College of Architecture and Design’s Graduation Celebration: Friday, May 19, time TBD; will be held at the Art + Architecture Building.
College of Architecture and Design Commencement and Hooding Ceremony (Undergraduate/Bachelor Candidates and Graduate/Master Candidates): Friday, May 19 at 4 p.m.; will be held at Thompson-Boling Arena
- The Mandatory Commencement Walk-through has not been scheduled at this time.
University Graduate and Professional Hooding Ceremony (Graduate/Master’s Candidates only): Saturday, May 20 at 7 p.m.; will be held at Thompson-Boling Arena
Spring 2022 Torch Night: Thursday, May 19, at 8 p.m.; will be held at the Ayres Lawn. Students must register to attend Torch Night. This is a university-wide event.
Additional Spring 2023 Commencement Ceremony Information
- A mandatory meeting for all students participating in the spring 2023 commencement will be held on Monday, January 23, 2023
- Students who graduate in Summer 2023 may participate in the college’s spring commencement ceremony.
- BArch, MArch, LAR, and IArch students who plan to participate in the spring ceremonies must purchase a cap/gown bundle in addition to a hood.
- Steps for Applying to Graduate
- University Commencement Website
- Graduation Ceremonies
- Deadlines to Apply for Graduation
- Undergraduate Graduation Deadlines
- Steps to Graduation (Undergraduates)
- Steps to Graduation (Graduates)
- Regalia Information
- Honors and Levels of Distinction
- Frequently Asked Questions
Day-of Commencement Information:
- Ceremony Parking Information
- Security Information
- Health and Safety
- Accommodations for Guests with Disabilities
- Friday, May 19 at 4 p.m. – College Ceremony + Hooding
- Saturday, May 20 – Graduate Hooding Ceremony
- Commencement regalia (cap/gown with the UT stole and separate hood) can be purchased at the VolShop.
- Interior Architecture Hoods: Available to borrow from the ASID/IIDA President or to purchase
- Spring 2022 Grad Finale (in-person event) – TBD
- Attendees will receive 10 percent off caps and gowns and 20 percent off diploma frames during the event.
Commencement Speaker: Nick Dryden
Nick Dryden is a third-generation architect in Tennessee. His grandfather and then father have led Allen N. Dryden Architects in Kingsport since the 1920s. After graduating from the University of Tennessee College of Architecture with Honors, Nick started his career in Nashville to carry forward his family’s tradition of passionate design. Since establishing Dryden Architecture and Design in 2001, Nick has garnered many accolades for his work. Projects under his leadership have received local, state, and national awards and have been featured in multiple publications including Architectural Record, Metropolis, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times. Currently, Dryden is focused on a diverse range of project types including corporate offices, adaptive reuse, residential, commercial, neighborhood master planning, and mixed-use development in Nashville and throughout the Southeast.
ABOUT THE CEREMONY
- Masks are highly encouraged for all speakers, graduates and guests.
- Graduate entry: Not required for graduate entry.
- Guest entry: There are no current plans to require tickets for guests. The Office of the Registrar will contact graduates if that changes.
- Doors will open 90 minutes before the ceremony start time for graduates and guests.
- Graduates will enter the arena at the lower level Media entrance.
- Guests will enter at the upper-level gates.
- New for fall 2021: all graduates will participate in a processional.
- The university’s clear bag policy will be reinforced.
More information can be found here.