Commencement Celebrate. Graduate.
Spring 2019 Commencement Dates + Deadlines
- A mandatory meeting for all students participating in the spring commencement will be held on January 9th in A+A 103 A at 5:45 p.m.
- Students who graduate in Fall 2018 or Summer 2019 may participate in the college’s spring commencement ceremony
- Mandatory Commencement Ceremony Walkthrough: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 12 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena
- College Commencement Ceremony (for Bachelor and Master candidates): Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena
- Graduate (Master’s Candidates) Hooding Ceremony: Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena
- Graduation Ceremonies
- Deadlines to Apply for Graduation
- Undergraduate Graduation Deadlines
- Steps to Graduation (Undergraduates)
- Steps to Graduation (Graduates)
- Frequently Asked Questions (Undergraduates)
Day-of Commencement Information:
Parking and Transportation:
Commencement Speaker: Sheila Dial Barton
Sheila Dial Barton AIA, LEED AP is a Principal with EOA Architects in Nashville, Tennessee. First, studying Interior Design at the Art Institute of Atlanta, Shelia later received her Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Tennessee in 1997 and studied urban planning through UT’s foreign exchange program in Krakow, Poland.
Sheila has been involved with the AIA since graduation and has served on the AIA Honors Awards Jury in 2001, on the AIA Middle Tennessee Board of Directors, later as President in 2009, and as the Director of the Middle Tennessee Young Architects Forum from 2003 to 2005. She has served on the Interior Design Advisory Board at O’More College of Design, and is currently on the Metro Public Arts Committee and the Board of The DISTRICT, a group promoting the three historic districts in downtown Nashville (serving as Chair in 2012). Sheila is a current member of ULI, the Urban Land Institute, along with the Nashville Civic Design Center.
Details about Commencement
- The college’s commencement on Saturday, May 11 includes hooding and is a rather intimate ceremony for the approximately 100 graduates of the College of Architecture and Design and their 900 guests. This ceremony includes welcoming comments, short speeches by elected student speakers from each degree program, hooding and conferring of diplomas.
- Commencement will last approximately 1.5 to 2 hours; tickets are not required.
- Guest parking for commencement can be found here.
- Please click here for the security information regarding commencement.
- Graduation Celebration is a special event in the college, which combines our traditional reception at the A+A Building and nearby Humanities Grove with a showcase of graduating students’ work. Graduation Celebration is May 11, 2:00-4:00 p.m. The free event is for graduates, families, friends and alumni.
- Some student organizations have special graduation regalia, such as honor cords or stoles. If you are a member of an organization, your president or designated officer will let you know what to order or rent.
- The Office of the Dean will order cords for the following: Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Cum Laude.
- Students who do not plan to participate in commencement also have requirements before receiving their diplomas. Please watch for information from Jennifer Flatford, 865-974-6714.
- Eligible summer graduates can participate in spring or fall commencement ceremonies. Details are at http://registrar.utk.edu/graduation/summer_grads.shtml.
- The University of Tennessee offers a university-wide graduate hooding ceremony on Thursday, May 9, 2019, at Thompson-Boling Arena. This is for 2019 M. Arch and MLA graduates, families and friends. Tickets are not required. Details on graduate/master-level deadlines are at http://gradschool.utk.edu/graduation/graduation-deadlines/.